Violence can take many forms, one of which is economic violence. In this case, the abuser’s goal is to control you completely, and he can do this by:
- controlling your finances;
- hiding your money or cards;
- forcing you to account for every penny you spend;
- denying you access to the basic necessities such as food, clothing, medicine, shelter;
- giving you an ‘allowance’ (a very small amount just to mock you);
- preventing you from getting a job or choosing your career;
- sabotaging your workplace (making you miss work, calling you constantly);
- stealing from you or taking your money.
If these things happen to you in your relationship, you need professional advice. Without help, the abuse will continue.